On this day, Aug. 14 ...
2015: The U.S. Embassy in Cuba re-opens after being closed for 54 years.
Also on this day:
- 1935: The Social Security Act becomes?law.?
- 1945: Japan surrenders?to the U.S., ending World War II.
- 1947: Pakistan becomes?independent of British rule.
- 1997: Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh is?sentenced to death.
- 1980: Actress-model Dorothy Stratten, 20, is?shot to death by her estranged husband and manager, Paul Snider, who then kills?himself.
- 2003:?A huge blackout hits the northeastern United States and part of Canada; 50 million people lose?power.
- 2008: President George W. Bush signs?consumer-safety legislation that bans?lead from children's toys, imposing the toughest standard in the world.